Michael Steele just said that Obama is the first president to be elected by a “minority of Americans,” which makes me think that Steele, who is a black man, doesn’t know what the fuck the word minority really means.
I was thinking the same thing…
A little reminder of some of Obama’s accomplishments in Congress during 2009 and 2010 in the face of unrelenting opposition from the GOP:
- Health care reform (which Democrats have been trying to pass since Truman in 1948 andTeddy Roosevelt proposed in 1911)
- Financial reform (written in part by Barney Frank with Elizabeth Warren forming the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau)
- DADT repeal
- Obama saving approximately 4 million jobs in manufacturing industries by forcing GM and Chrysler into bankruptcy and within 6 weeks resurrecting them with union representation on the board (taxpayers are on track to make money on that one and GM has hired back just about everybody laid off in 2009)
- Making sure all the TARP money is paid back and recycling it back it into the economy (with $26 billion in profit so far to the American taxpayer, raise your hand if you think George Bush would have pulled that off, or even tried)
- 2 more women on the Supreme Court
- The Lilly Ledbetter Act
- More private sector jobs created in 2010 than in the entire 8 years of the Bush administration
- Expansion of: Medicaid, mental health care for veterans, and Pell Grants
- The Recovery Act which by itself is the single biggest accomplishment by a Democratic president since FDR (not my opinion - Rachel Maddow’s)
- The START treaty
- And in general dragging us back from the brink of another Great Depression,
- hmmm…what am I missing? Oh yeah Obama got Osama bin Laden.
Some things Obama has done by presidential fiat:
- Raised fuel efficiency standards
- Removed Bush ban on embryonic stem cell research
- provided federal benefits for same sex couples by executive action.
- The new food safety law so you don’t buy poison eggs, spinach etc.
- Monday July 11, 2011, the Obama Administration announced that it would require gun dealers in states bordering Mexico to report to law enforcement multiple sales of certain semi-automatic rifles.
Imagine what more could be done with a Democratic House and a filibuster proof Senate.Recall all Republicans and Tea Baggers.
We need to pass this info along to all the disgruntled people who say they’ll sit out 2012.